Monday, March 30, 2015

So Why Did You Buy Those Green Matches?


So these matches have been around our house for some time. Not being smokers, and only lighting a fire in the fireplace only occasionally, it takes a while for my wife and me to go through a box of matches like this.

I don’t know of another company that makes wooden matches like this other than Diamond. Ubiquitous as Acme is to Wile E. Coyote, I’ve seen Diamond matches all over the place and can remember no other, even from the time that I was allowed to light my first fire when I was a child.
            What I do notice that is obviously different from the boxes of matches that I remember from my childhood is the pleasant photo of a tree branch and gauzy sunlight that highlights the words “greenlight” and “Sourced from Responsible Forests.” The match tips are even green, as opposed to the traditional red.
            After getting past the idea of a forest being responsible, as though an area covered by trees could exercise a greater or lesser degree of rectitude, I googled the term Responsible Forest and got this website from Diamond, which clarifies the term as “Responsible Forestry.” As the matches are so small, I had always imagined that Diamond could supply themselves with all the wood they needed for years with just a couple logs. But apparently, the number of matches that Diamond makes is so great that they wind up cutting down a fair number of trees in the process.
            I didn’t look into this very much, so I don’t know how responsible Diamond’s forestry policy and practice really are. It could be quite comprehensive or could be a case of greenwashing. The question that I’m curious to ask here is: How much does a green label or packaging affect what you buy?
            I’m a committed environmentalist. I dry my clothes on a clothesline, take public transportation, at least once a week, reduce my driving, eat at least a little lower on the food chain than I used to; I even volunteer to work at saving a number of endangered species. There are a good number of folks like me. But really, we are a minority. What about other folks? People who aren’t as dedicated to saving the whales as I am, do they reach for the greenlight matches as opposed to the regular matches? Do they choose a laundry detergent from a company that promises that their business practices are sustainable to the seventh generation? How much does this matter to folks?
            So if you’re still with me, I’d like to know if you buy eco-friendly products. Why do you choose to do so? Is it important to you? Why? If it’s no bother, please post to the blog instead of other social media like Facebook. Thanks so much!

No comments:

Post a Comment